Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lightning Has Struck My Brain

So I was out golfing the other weekend, and I had one of those enlightening experiences that are generally reserved for alcoholics.

(Contrary to popular belief, I have not yet become one.)

It was a particularly gusty day out on the links, and we were getting blown silly [no, not that way] in the golf cart. So Kevin says, "Let's put up the windshield." Only he spoke the final word with a pause in the middle, so it came out, "wind shield." Then came my epiphany.

A windshield shields you from the wind.

It's not like I had been going through life confused on its definition, I had just never thought about it nor heard it spoken in such a distinct manner before. The same thing happened with Best Buy awhile ago. Due to its low-price guarantee, it's the best buy you can get.

Apparently I missed the day in third grade when we learned about compound words.

3 comments:

Mikey B said...

I'll bet you the windshield on your car that you wrote this while you were still drunk. Am I right?...cause, that's all I could think when I read this.

Justin said...

I may have been slightly drunk when I had my revelation, but I was stone sober when posting this.

Anonymous said...

It took me a moment, but the quote "lightning has struck my brain" was just bothering me because I could picture it being said, even with the piece of chicken in the character's hand but I finally got it...Mr Smee in HOOK! Nicely done on that one!