Sunday, July 23, 2006

. . . in July


While generally considered a Crosby/Kaye/Clooney/Ellen vehicle, White Christmas owes its phenomenal success to one person and one person alone -- Anne Whitfield, the actress who played Susan Waverly.

Let us bask in the glory of all her immortal lines from this classic film.
  1. Okay, Mr. Wallace. This way.
  2. This will bring business in, Grandpa.
  3. Here's the laundry, Emma.
  4. All right.
  5. Excuse me, Judy. It's for you from Betty. She gave it to Grandpa at the station.
  6. Hello. Oh yes.
  7. Oh, Grandpa, the battery's dead on the Jeep. It's stuck out . . .
  8. Why can't you wear your uniform? Please, Gramps.
  9. I hope he comes down, that would be awful if he wouldn't.
  10. Grandpa, you look wonderful.
  11. No.
Try using them in everyday conversation. My personal favorite is #2, which can be used whenever you see something amazing.

Maybe this Susan Waverly quoting frenzy has already begun, though, because I often hear girls say #11 to me at bars. I'll have to remind them that #4 and #6 are also viable lines to speak.

No comments: